When it comes to eating fast food, eating in healthy ways tends not to be high on the list of things to do. That being said it is nice to be able to keep with your diet of eating vegan and enjoy going to Wendy’s and McDonalds. Here is a guide to being vegan and eating fast food.
Always ask if they have any vegan specific meals. It is kind of a secret menu with options. That being said you always have to ask, they never make it easy to find. Sometimes you can call ahead or look on their website.
Look ahead! Take the time and look at what meals they have on their website. They will have salads or soups or entrees without anything animal on it. Looking before you go will save you time. Also, check out this site, it has a pre-made list of options!
Be open to trying creative new things. Fast food is hard to get anything but the standard burger and fries. Things have been better in the last few years but it is still a hit or miss. So staying creative means more options.
Do you have any other advice when it comes to eating fast food?
We are looking at the big chains for you in more details:
Burger King’s Vegan Options:
- French Toast Sticks (accidentally vegan)
- Hash browns
- Maple Syrup (be warned: it’s not real maple syrup but rather flavored corn syrup)
- Impossible Whopper Burger for Breakfast (no mayo) > This burger is made with a plant-based Impossible Burger patty and served with tomatoes, onions, lettuce, non-vegan mayonnaise (which can be omitted), ketchup, and pickles on a toasted sesame seed bun.
- Fries (they use vegetable oil for frying
- Garden side salad (with no cheese)
McDonalds’s Vegan Limited Options:
- Fruit & Maple Oatmeal (ask to be made with water and without milk or cream)
- Apple Slices
- Southwest Salad (without cheese or Southwest dressing)
- Premium Bacon Ranch Salad (without cheese, bacon or Ranch dressing)
- Side Salad (without cheese or dressing)
- Baked apple pie (yes, it’s accidentally vegan!)
Note: McPlant from Beyond Meat is coming soon and is currently in testing!
Taco Bells Vegan Options with extra changes:
(ask for no cheese or sour cream for all items below)
- Black Bean Chalupa
- Black Bean Crunchwrap Supreme
- Bean (or Bean & Rice) Burrito
- Black Bean & Rice Bowl
- Cinnamon Twists
- Spicy Potato Soft Taco
- Black Bean Quesarito (also ask for no sauces and add guacamole, tomatoes, beans, rice, jalapeño peppers, onions, lettuce, and/or potatoes)
- Veggie Nachos Party Pack (add lettuce, rice, black beans, onions, and/or potatoes)
- Hash Browns
How to Vegan at Subway?
Most bread contains milk and egg but… Subway’s Roasted Garlic Bread is made with sunflower oil instead of butter, and their 9 Grain Wheat bread no longer contains honey + add vegan toppings only!
- Black Bean Soup
- Mediterranean Vegetable Soup